Summary of Achievements
2004-Present | Comatrol (Sauer-Danfoss, Inc.) | Easley, SC
Six Sigma Engineer
- Six sigma black belt for a large-scale FPY improvement project in our hydraulic cartridge valve production area. Realized over $160,000 in hard saving in first six weeks with an additional $300,000 subsequently identified and harvested.
- Developed and teach our rapid root cause identification process to quality, manufacturing and design engineers. The process integrates Shainin® tools and exploratory data analysis methods into the six sigma DMAIC framework.
- Created “Design for Six Sigma” product development process. The process integrates TRIZ, 2P/3P (value engineering) and six sigma robust design techniques to systematically develop and launch successful new products.
- Drove data mining and analysis phase of major product rationalization program. Program reduced part numbers count by 45% and is projected to significantly improve EBIT as executed.
- Led project moving four cartridge valve product lines from Oregon to South Carolina. On-time delivery went from 46% to 93% and throughput is 23% higher with same headcount.
- Designed SMED valve test system that reduced change-over time from 8 minutes to 1.5 minutes and increased throughput 48%.
- Oversaw specification, design, installation and launch validation of $600,000 worth of automated test equipment.
- As 2P/3P (Value Engineering) leader, our team identified $750,000.00 in hard cost savings on a critical proportional valve product family. The cost savings prevented the need to exit this business.
- Lead engineer and project manager in development of electro-hydraulic control valve for skid steer loader market.
- Spearheaded value engineering project to improve reliability and reduce cost of existing product line. Efforts resulted in 60% reduction in cost with improved reliability and resulted in Patent 7,857,003
1999-2004 |Sun Hydraulics Corp. | Sarasota, FL
- Designed and implemented production cell for solenoid products which has cut lead times in half, reduced inventory levels 90% and cut scrap from 4% to 0.5%.
- Developed proprietary high pressure solenoid tube welding process that is now considered a core competency for Sun.
- Designed electro-hydraulic switching solenoid that gave Sun Hydraulics access to the high pressure segment of the market.
- Conceptualized and designed unique proportional electro-hydraulic solenoid that has allowed Sun to enter a high growth market segment. Corporate leadership considers it a strategic product.
- Developed intranet based system to manage new product development projects. The APQP based system was key to Sun achieving ISO certification.
1985-1999 | Dana Corp, Gresen Division | Sarasota, FL
- Developed an automated gear pump testing station that reduced unscheduled downtime by 25%.
- Designed an opto-electric leakage tester that doubled throughput and efficiency and massively improved test reliability.
- Designed and patented (5,694,967) fuel control system for gas turbines which gave our customer a huge cost advantage in the multi-million dollar low lubricity segment of the gas turbine market.
- Designed and patented (5,131,426) stainless steel water injection system which massively simplified the customer’s system and saved them over $700,000 annually.
- Designed multi-port flow divider technology that far exceeded the performance of existing technology. The customer patenting the system based on our technology to protect the multi-million dollar cost saving potential.
Product Development Lab Technician
- Developed and taught in-house hydraulics training program. The training was well received by management and floor personnel.
- Conducted hundreds of product development tests and formally reported technical findings.
Graduate Certificate – Applied Statistics • Penn State, World Campus
B. S. – Electra-Mechanical Engineering Technology (High Honors) • Rochester Institute of Technology • Rochester, New York
A. S. – Fluid Power Technology • Gateway Technical College • Kenosha, Wisconsin
Certified Six Sigma Black Belt • American Society fro Quality (ASQ)
2P/3P Facilitator (Value Engineering) • Sauer-Danfoss Academy • Ames, Iowa
SolidWorks Solid Modeling, SolidWorks FEA, SolidWorks CFD, Unigraphics Solid Modeling, Ansoft Maxwell® 2D Electro-Magnetic Modeling Software, Design Abaqus non-linear FEA, Ease statistical Software, Minitab Statistical Software, Microsoft Office Suite Software, 8D problem solving, DOT*STAR Variance Reduction Methodology, Six Sigma Black Belt DMAIC, Design of Experiments, (Screening, Factorial, Shainin®), TRIZ, ARIZ, Robust Design, Design & Process FMEA Measurement System Analysis, Statistical Tolerance Analysis, Monte Carlo Simulation, Advanced Product Quality Planning (APQP), PPAP, Process Capability, Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing,